All You Need to Know About the Singapore Dependant’s Pass Scheme

All You Need to Know About the Singapore Dependant's Pass Scheme

If you are an entrepreneur or work in Singapore and wish to bring your family members to the country, you will need to get a Dependant’s Pass. Keep reading this article to find out how you can obtain it. 

What is a Dependant’s Pass?

A Dependant’s Pass (DP) is a relocation visa that enables eligible family members of an Employment Pass, Personalized Employment Pass, EntrePass, and S Pass holder to resettle in Singapore. This visa is valid as long as the main Singapore work visa holder is actively working in Singapore. DP pass holders can stay, enter and leave Singapore freely without having to apply for separate Singapore visas.

A DP holder can get a job or set up a company in Singapore. However, with effect from 1st of May 2021, DP holders must also apply for an Employment Pass, S Pass, or Work Permit to work in Singapore. With an Employment Pass, a DP holder can register themselves as a director of a Private Limited company.

Eligibility criteria to apply for a Dependant’s Pass

You can apply for a Dependant’s Pass for your family if you meet the following requirements:

  • You currently hold one of the main work passes: Employment Pass, Personalized Employment Pass (PEP), EntrePass, and S Pass.
  • You earn a minimum salary of S$6,000 per month if you have an Employment Pass or S-Pass. In the case of EntrePass, your business expenses must reach a minimum threshold, as well as the number of local jobs you create (refer to this page for details)
  • You are sponsored by an established, Singapore-registered company.
  • Dependants are considered to be your spouse or unmarried children under 21 years (biological or legally adopted).

If your family members are not eligible for a Dependant’s Pass, they may qualify for a Long Term Visit Pass.

Required documents to apply for a Dependant’s Pass

Before you can apply for a Dependant’s Pass for your family, you must prepare the following documents:

  • A copy of the personal particulars page of the candidate’s passport.
  • A copy of your personal particulars page if you share your passport with your kids.

You will be required to submit additional documents depending on which category the applied dependant falls into.

Family Member

Additional Documents

A legal spouse

A copy of the marriage certificate.

Unmarried biological/adopted children under 21 years

  • A copy of the official birth certificate stating the parents’ names or a copy of the adoption order or other relevant documents.
  • Verification of Vaccination Requirements (for entry to Singapore) document issued by HPB is needed for foreign-born children aged 12 years old and below who are applying for a new DP (including those whose DPs have expired or been canceled for more than 30 days).


Existing DP, LTVP, and Student’s Pass holders do not need this document.


As of 1st of May 2021, DP holders will not be able to use a Letter of Consent (LOC) and will need to obtain an EP, PEP, EntrePass, or S Pass, to work in Singapore. However, existing DP holders can continue to work in the country under the LOC until it expires.

How to apply for a Dependant’s Pass

As an authorized corporate service provider in Singapore, we can help you apply for a Dependant’s Pass to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). We will need you to submit all the required documents to us online through Biz Atom’s portal, and we will review them to make sure they are complete before passing them to the authority.

Much like other types of passes, if your application is approved, you should expect an In-principle-approval (IPA) letter. In this case, it will be sent to the dependants or your family members.

When the letter arrives, the dependants must arrange a visit to Singapore to obtain the pass. Your family members have to immediately move because the IPA letter is valid for a short period of 6 months for EP dependants and 2 months for S Pass dependants.

Once the DP is issued, MOM will send you a notification letter, which will enable the dependants to travel into and out of Singapore when needed. It has a validity period of 1 month, yet it can be prolonged under certain conditions. The notification letter will also advise if the dependants are required to register their fingerprints and photos. Unless the applicants are first-timers or those whose latest registrations were over 5 years, they would not be subject to this requirement.

Note that if you have babies born in Singapore, you will get a Special Pass from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). This pass is valid for 6 weeks, during which you can apply for a Dependant’s Pass.

How can dependants renew their passes?

Depending on the main pass type, dependants can apply for an extension up to 6 months before the expiry date. Otherwise, they will have to apply for a new pass. EP and EntrePass dependants can start applying to renew when they get the renewal forms by post, 3 months before the pass expires (the application has to reach MOM at least 2 months before the expiry date).

However, it should be noted that renewals are not guaranteed. Applications will be evaluated against current eligibility criteria. Also, it is advisable to apply for renewal early because if you miss the deadline, you will need to apply for a new pass.

Can a Dependant’s Pass holder get a permanent residency in Singapore?

Dependant’s Pass holders can apply for permanent residence (PR) in Singapore together with the Singapore work visa holders. If the Singapore work visa holder’s PR application is approved, the DP holder’s PR application will be approved as well.

If you have any questions regarding Singapore Dependant’s Pass or other work passes. Feel free to send an email to [email protected].


Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Stay up-to-date with our useful guides on company incorporation, accounting & taxation and business management!

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Stay up-to-date with our useful guides on company incorporation, accounting & taxation and business management!

Need advice on the best structure
for your business

Biz Atom helps entrepreneurs and international business make the right choice when setting up in Singapore.


Contact us