Singapore Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) Application Guide

Singapore Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) Application Guide

If you are an Employment Pass or S pass holder and wish to bring your family to Singapore to stay with you, you can either apply for a Dependant’s Pass or a Long Term Vist Pass for each family member. The first option is more popular but the latter is also a suitable option. 

Let’s take a better look at the Singapore Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) and how it can be obtained.

What is a Singapore Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP)?

The Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) is a type of visa designed for certain family members of an Employment Pass or S Pass holder.  Those earning over $12,000 can also get this pass for their parents. 

Who is eligible for an LTVP?

You can apply for a Singapore Long Term Visit Pass for your family if you meet these requirements:

  • You are an Employment Pass or S Pass-holder
  • Have a minimum fixed monthly salary of $6,000 (this must be based on your salary, and not based on your combined household income)
  • You are sponsored by an established, Singapore-incorporated company  (your employer)

However, not every member of the family is eligible to apply. The following members of your family can be sponsored for aN LTVP:

  • Spouses of foreign spouses
  • Handicapped children above 21 years of age if they are unmarried
  • Stepchildren under 21 years of age if they are unmarried
  • Parents

According to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA), the following categories of people may also apply for an LTVP:

  • Visitors holding foreign-issued educational degrees and searching for a job in Singapore
  • Visitors who are students of institutes of higher learning seeking employment in Singapore
  • A female visitor whose child/grandchild is studying in Singapore on a student’s pass
  • A visitor whose spouse (or common-law spouse) is a Singapore citizen (SC) or  a Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR)
  • A visitor whose child (above the age of 21 years old) is an SC or SPR
  • A visitor seeking permission to deliver a child in Singapore
  • A visitor looking for a long-term stay

What’s the difference between LTVP and LTVP+?

The Long Term Visit Pass-Plus (LTVP+) scheme is designed for foreign spouses of Singapore citizens (SC) or Singapore Permanent Residents (SPR). Foreign spouses of SCs applying for LTVP would automatically be considered for LTVP+ if they qualify. 

The LTVP+ provides foreign spouses of SCs with greater certainty of staying in Singapore by granting the holder a longer period of residency.  They will be permitted to stay in the country for three years if their application is approved. In addition, they will be allowed to stay here for 5 years if their LTVP+ is renewed.

Note: LTVP+ holders are eligible for healthcare and employment benefits.

How does an LTVP work in Singapore?

A Singapore a Long Term Visit Pass is suitable for foreign visitors who intend to stay in Singapore for longer than 30 days. There are two types of passes issued by different authorities, which have different requirements and processes:

  • The first Long Term Visit Pass type is issued by the Singapore Immigrant and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).  It extends the validity of a current Short-Term Visit Pass. Foreign travelers with a Short-Term Visit Pass who intend to stay in Singapore for more than 30 days can apply.
  • The second one is granted by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). It is available to family members of overseas employees who do not qualify for the Dependant’s Pass but wish to visit and reside with their family members in Singapore.

Documents required for a Singapore Long Term Visit Pass

To apply for an LTVP, you will need to submit certain documents depending on the family member you are applying for.

Common-law spouse

For a common-law spouse, you must submit any one of the following:

  • Copy of the common-law marriage certificate.
  • An affidavit signed by both of you and your spouse stating that you are both married to each other according to the laws of your native country. Note that. the affidavit must also be notarized in your home country.
  • A letter from your or your spouse’s home country’s embassy acknowledging that you’re both in a common-law relationship recognized by your home country’s laws.

Unmarried stepchildren under 21 years old

For an unmarried stepchild under 21 years old, you will need to submit:

  • A copy of the court order on the child’s custody.
  • A letter from the other biological parent stating there is no objection to bringing the child to Singapore.
  • Verification of Vaccination Requirements (for entry to Singapore) document issued by HPB is needed for foreign-born children aged 12 years old and below who are applying for a new LTVP (including those whose LTVPs have expired or been canceled for more than 30 days).

Unmarried handicapped children over 21 years old

For an unmarried handicapped child above 21 years old, you will need to submit a letter or report from a medical practitioner on the child’s condition.


For parents, you will only need a copy of your birth certificate that states the names of your parents.

Pre-approved Letter of Consent (PLOC)

An alternative to an LTVP is a Pre-approved Letter of Consent (PLOC). This letter is issued by MOM and it gives you the legal permission to work for a Singapore company.  There are no restrictions on the number of people a Singapore company can hire under a LOC, which makes LOC holders desirable job candidates for Singapore enterprises.

A person is eligible for a LOC if they have a DP that is linked to an Employment Pass, EntrePass, or Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) that is valid for at least three months from the date of application.

The application for a LOC is done through an appointed employment agent or the prospective employer on behalf of the holder of the LTVP or DP. It is necessary to hand in the written consent.

How to apply for a Singapore Long Term Visit Pass

Foreigners are advised to engage a Singapore immigration services firm if they want to apply for a Long Term Visit Pass. The application process can be done online so the applicants do not have to be present in Singapore on the visa application day. Applicants are only required to submit all necessary documents to the services agent. 

You should be aware that the application process for each type of pass is different. It is possible for a process to be completed in no longer than seven business days, but it can also take up to six weeks.

Once your application has been accepted, you will receive the in-principle approval letter. Then, it is time to bring over your family member that you will sponsor. And finally, take them to get their pass issued by the authority in Singapore.

You will need the following information to get the pass issued: 

  • Foreigner’s passport details
  • Foreigner’s Singapore contact details 
  • Foreigner’s current Short-Term Visit Pass (STVP) or immigration pass details
  • Foreigner’s Singapore residential address
  • Singapore residential or office address to receive the foreigner’s card
  • Details of up to 3 authorized recipients to receive the card (their mobile number, email address, and NRIC number/FIN/passport number) 

You may also need to upload PDF copies of these documents:

  • Foreigner’s passport page showing the date of arrival in Singapore 
  • Completed medical examination form or medical declaration form
  • Completed declaration form (attached to the foreigner’s IPA letter)

How to renew and cancel an LTVP

Here’s how a holder can renew and cancel their LTVP.

1. Renewal

An LTVP can be renewed up to 6 months before it expires. You must submit your application before the deadline.

For dependents of Employment Pass (sponsorship) and EntrePass holders, you can start applying to renew when you get the renewal forms in the mail, three months before the pass expires. Note that your application has to reach MOM at least two months before the pass expires.

2. Cancellation

You must cancel an LTVP if the holder no longer needs it. Once canceled, you should cut the passcard in half and discard it to prevent misuse.   

You can request a cancellation up to 14 days ahead of time. For example, if you wish to cancel your pass for the 15th of February, you can do so starting on the 1st of January.

If the work pass holder’s pass is canceled, the LTVPs for the family members will be canceled as well. However, you do not need to cancel the LTVP if the holder becomes a permanent resident of Singapore since it will be automatically canceled.

If you still have questions regarding Singapore visa schemes or need assistance, please contact us and our friendly team would be happy to assist you.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Stay up-to-date with our useful guides on company incorporation, accounting & taxation and business management!

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Stay up-to-date with our useful guides on company incorporation, accounting & taxation and business management!

Need advice on the best structure
for your business

Biz Atom helps entrepreneurs and international business make the right choice when setting up in Singapore.


Contact us